Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Review of Real Techniques Bold Metals Brushes


I'm a big fan of the Real Technique brushes and have picked up most of the different collections they have released over the years. Recently the Bold Metals collection was launched and of course I had to pick up a few of the new brushes.

The brushes are more on the premium side so the prices are a little more than the standard Real Techniques collections. The handles are weighted so are my comfortable to hold and the bristles are meant to be the closest thing to natural hair while still being synthetic. They are also as the name suggests on the colours of different metals. The base brushes are all gold, the eye brushes are silver and the finish brushes are rose gold/copper.

I did a good bit of research on which of the brushes to get before going ahead with the purchase and the majority of the brushes where well received. While I nearly got swept away with the hype and bought the whole collection, I took a look at my brush collection to see what type of brushes I didn't have. However in the end I went to shop and picked up what I could find. My name is Avril and I am a shopaholic!


After some deliberation in the makeup aisle, I walked away with three brushes: 

202 Angled Brush 
I was in the market for a new angled brush, I think they are the type of brush that you can never have too much of. I love how small this brush is compared to the angled brushes from MAC or Inglot. It means you can really fill in and define the brows in small strokes, giving the brows a more natural finish. 

While I haven't used this brush for gel eyeliner yet, I image it would be really easy to use. I like this brush so much I'm considering picking up another one for liner... a little excessive I know. This brush works out a €13 and like all the Bold Metal brushes, they available exclusively from Boots

300 Tapered Blush Brush 
Out of the three brushes I got, this one is my least favourite. When I saw it in the store I thought it was quite small but as I have a small face, I thought it could be a match made in heaven. However once I set out to use it I wasn't sure. 

While the bristles picked up my powder blush, they didn't really disperse it on to face. The brush just applied it to once spot and didn't really blend it out. I haven't given up hope as the brush set me back €31 but it's not as easy to use I would have hoped. I had a similar experience with cream blushes as well. 

100 Arched Powder Brush
This is the most expensive brush in the entire collection at €32 but I really did need a powder brush. The only other power brush I have is from Real Techniques but it is way too big for a face so as this version is flatter and more tapered, I thought it would be better.

While this brush is the softest brush I've ever had, I'm also not 100% sold on it. I like it more than the blush brush but I feel like the powder brush doesn't really pick up enough product. I have oily skin so powder in one of my best friends but since i introduced this brush into my routine, I haven't felt that makeup has been set probably. 

With all that said I do really like this brush for bronzer, not contouring just bronzer as it's too big for creative cheek bones, it will just help warm up the face. If you use the tip of the brush it's a good shape for getting into the corners and angels of you face for applying bronzer.



So it's a little bit of a mixed review. I think I wanted to like them more than I actually do because they look goregous and were on the pricier side. I'm not giving up hope on them entirely, I'm still using the three of them on a daily basis but its just not as much of a loving relationship I would have hoped for!  With all that said I've had very little, if no shedding of brushes and they all wash really easily and dry back to their original shape. Maybe the brushes are just too innovative for me and I need to get used to them.

Have you tried any brushes from the Bold Metals collection? If so, I would love to know how you got on and if there are other brushes in the collection I should get. Let me know in the comments below. 

Until next time,

Avril 
Xx

7 comments:

  1. Great balanced review, I'd definitely like to try these out but I'm wary that they may not be so amazing, especially for the higher price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I think Angled brush is one of the best I've tried and I do like the others just not as much as i thought I would.

      Delete
  2. I'm dying to buy some, but after reading some reviews I'm still on the fence. They look so beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the brushes are gutting mixed reviews. Maybe get one and see how you go? x

      Delete
  3. they really are quite expensive for me! they look very luxurious but i think i can get by with my regular real techniques. i'd still like the contour brush though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to get that one instead of the blush brush but it was sold out, now I'm not sure whether to pick it up as well.

      Delete
  4. Amazing! I found these Real Techniques brushes online at iherb, this page has it all: http://www.iherb.com/real-techniques-by-samantha-chapman?rcode=PPT610, And they ship almost everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so leave one below and I'll get back to you soon <3